Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Goals Refresh

So, it’s been five days since I posted my initial goals (http://clutterdietlog.blogspot.com/2008/06/progress-of-day.html), so I think it’s time to reflect, revise and review them.

First, spacescaping the laundry has had to be extended, because it won’t be completed until after we have the new machines. These are supposed to be delivered on the June 30. If this does occur, then I think a reasonable timeframe to have the place completely finished would be the end of July 5. If the machines are delayed, this may have to be revised. While there has been a time delay, I would like to balance it by enhancing the scope of this project to include not just the laundry room, but the entirety of my midspaces area. Therefore, it is my goal to have completed the decluttering, cleaning, organizing and spacescaping of the bar, breakfast room, destination alcove, entry way and all floors throughout the area by this date.

I haven’t made any progress on the goal of getting Paul to look at the Systems book, but that’s because I haven’t tried at all. Therefore, I think I should stick with the goal of having this done by 6/25 to motivate me to get to work on this.

Other goals remaining:
Identify d (and c) storage by end of June
Set up organizational caddy by July 4
Develop recycling plan by July 11
Design a laundry system by July 18 (implementation can follow)
Plan and create destination station by end of July
Set up itsdeductible and applicable picture location by August 14.

New goals:

  • Try first idea for meal planning during July. I am thinking I’m going to try Dreamdinners first. There are some other options that I’m considering, but I’m going to go ahead and try this first as I’ve heard rave reviews and the location on Mesa is under a mile from the house.
  • Get bathroom daily cleaning maintenance systems in place by mid-July. ONLY focus on the bathroom systems at this point and don’t worry about the rest of the house.
  • Do second pass at the household systems workbook including Paul’s input between the end of July and mid-August.
  • Research media library products and devise a plan by September 5. http://www.delicious-monster.com/ looks like a great option if I do end up ordering the macbook pro.
  • Not directly related to the house, but the condition of my office definitely has effects on me, so a final goal is to invest some time, research and reflection into office organization. Lorie has an audio component of her site that includes an interview with a woman named Barbara Hemphill who specializes in paper organization. Included in this work is a book about organization specifically at work. I think this might be a good place to start to meet this goal. I don’t want to rush this since it is imperative that I develop my good habits with the work at the house, but I also don’t want to neglect it as it definitely spills over into the rest of my life, so I think planning to have identified and started a course of action by August 15 is a reasonable goal. (note: I haven’t set a timeline for organizing the paper at our house. This is because I imagine this will come after the home office and as this is the true nightmare of our house, I don’t want to undermine the rest of my work by forcing addressing this room prematurely.)

So, that's it for today's goal refresh except to say that I'd like to make a goal about goals. I think a good plan would be to aim to reflect, append and annotate my goals once a week, so look for something of this nature each week. Any thoughts on whether it would be better to dictate that this needs to be done on a certain date, such as Tuesdays, or whether it should be done whenever it makes sense each week?

No comments: